Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lady Lydia likes boys whistling at her - Part II


Lady Lydia often deletes posts that are controversial. She might decide to delete her post on "Why boys don't whistle at girls anymore" once she realizes someone is talking about.
So the current link for this silly article is:
http://homeliving.blogspot.com/2006/06/why-dont-boys-whistle-at-girls-anymore.html

In this Lady Lydia, laments that boys don't whistle at girls anymore.
Some of Lydia's own Cortie of readers themselves have taken exception to her desire that boys should whistle at her.
Some of the comments for this article are:
Christian Feminist says:

A woman who desires to be whistled at is no lady. In my mind she is more likely a harlot. HOW DARE YOU criticize women who choose to dress according to modern fashion and don't wear the long, baggy, loose and shapeles things you call " feminine dress"? How dare you suggest that women invite assault and rape by the way they dress, and at the same time you regret men don't whistle after girls. If any woman invites rape, it's you with your twisted, perverse way of thinking. In my country, women are still whistled after. Everytime this happened to me I felt nothing but contempt for those pathethic men who used that way of gaining my attention. At the same time, I felt extremely unconfortable, like a piece of meat drooled after by hungry dogs. If you enjoy being whistled at, you enjoy tempting men to sin, you enjoy their lust. What a hypocrite you are, whit your rantings about modesty and femininity!

Mrs. W said...
I don't know about all this taking a whistle as a compliment, ma'am! I'm a young woman, and I and several girls have had to deal with foolish men honking at us or gawking like wolves at us as we go about our business, on the street or in other public places. Sometimes, the creeps have even slowed down their cars beside me and "flirted" with me as I tried to walk in peace. (I think they tend to be in groups when they do this.)
We don't take it as a compliment because it is overtly sexual and predatory in nature. I remember several times in high school having grown men make inappropriate comments about my young age and beauty as I walked home from school! It's like these men think they are in a rap video or something. How do they expect a respectable young lady to respond?
So no, I don't know if I've ever heard a man whistle at a woman, but it's generally regarded as a foolish woman who is flattered by the chosen "complimentary" behavior of men today.
I do understand, though, how wearing a skirt and *looking* like a girl begets more gentlemanly treatment from men. :) However, many will still gawk and shout "Hey!" or "pssst!" as if it's supposed to be appeal.


Anonymous said...
Mrs. W, I'm in between Mrs. Lydia and you, so I also remember the sleezebags that would drool over my friends and I (and worse), but I also remember as a child seeing men whistle at men, and it was mainly innocent; much like the songs of the period in which men didn't go into lurid details about body parts and the activities best suited for those parts, but simply sang about how wonderful girls were and how beautiful their smiles and eyes were. As a child I never felt like I was in the presence of something dirty when I saw a young man whistle at a young woman and I only heard happiness and excitement in the pop songs about beautiful girls.


Anonymous said...
As a young women (upon whom youth is wasted), I find whistling strangers patronising even when it is clearly meant as a compliment and remains good natured. The attention also makes me uncomfortable. However, if I knew the person whistling at me I would take the compliment. I think it's just a case of these days you can't be entirely sure of the intention of the whistler unless you know them personally. That's why I can't see the trend making a resurgance. In addition, a great deal of my male friends would never whistle at a girl because they too feel uncomfortable and as though they were being disrespectful to the girl. Call it what you will but that is how many in generation think.


Elizabeth said...
Perhaps I'm to young to understand this sort of whistling. I'm 29 years old and have been whistled at a few times. Of course, since I've had 3 kids it's been a while ... haha. But each of these times it was by men that just give you the creeps. You know the sort: the ones that, when your head snaps up with a jump, look at you like a t-bone steak. I certainly would like to know and see this sort of "good whistling" because I have never seen it that I can remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment